Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Today I am going running with Dan's sister, Chrissy (from Lets. Get. Dangerous). It has been so nice out that I've gone running nearly every day for the past week. Sure, I'm no amazing runner; I am slow and can't go that far (I usually only go 5k, although I have gone about 13k before... but pain ensued), but getting outside for a bit, and moving around really makes me feel better. I think I am a nicer, more optimistic person when I am running, which is something all of my running friends told me for years and I never believed.

In fact, there were so many things about running that I didn't believe... that it made you feel better, that there was a thing called "runner's high," that it was possible to enjoy it...

Strangely, I ran cross country in high school, but was never good, and never pushed myself to do anything challenging. I would get cramps from eating at the wrong time, or pushing myself too hard at first, and instead of working through it, I just walked for awhile. I never got the "runner's high" (not even when I *did* keep running), and I *never* enjoyed it. I think I may have been less depressed, but I don't even know that for sure since it was summertime, and I'm never as depressed in the summer.

Anyway, I was pretty much the worst one on the team, and never really took any pride in it. Now, I love it, though, and encourage everyone else to get out and move, even if you have to do it slowly. If you start running, know that you will be miserable at first, and to take it slow; it will get better, and you will enjoy it after awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment