Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Chicago fire

This is a picture of the beautiful Holy Name Cathedral in Chicago, as firefighters attempt to save it from a fire this morning. According to reports, no-one was injured, but they still have not identified the cause of the blaze.

As an art/architecture buff, I always get particularly sad when this type of tragedy happens. Much of the contents of these buildings are works of art, or historical relics (and in the case of Catholic churches, often anthropological relics as well). When a modern building burns down, the first thing I think of is whether or not everyone is OK. When a beautiful old building catches fire, my thoughts are more muddled between concern for life and concern for the aesthetics. I probably have my priorities out of whack, but for your perusal:

This is the interior of Holy Name:



And the organ:



And the Galeros, which are the ceremonial hats of each of the Cardinals that have died while serving there:



I remember when Cardinal Bernardin passed away, and they hung his Galero on the ceiling. From what the Tribune says, there is some water damage, so I hope they are OK.

Holy Name recently reopened after a long stretch of renovations, so it is particularly sad for their Parishoners.

I am always sad to see anything in Chicago burn down. Until I hear otherwise, I will blame it on Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment