Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Weddings

When I first got engaged, I found myself at a loss for what I wanted the wedding to be like. There were so many options, and they were all interesting, beautiful, and probably priced way out of my budget. I started scouring the web for ideas, and obsessively read wedding blogs, waiting for the perfect idea to come to me.

Well, eventually, my wedding has taken its form. It was a fairly organic process of me having an idea semi-formed in my head, only to find out a.) my idea was too expensive or difficult, or b.) my mom/sister/grandmother/fiance [not usually fiance] disagreed with it (often for very practical reasons!). Eventually, a new idea was suggested, and deemed acceptable to all, and then the focus turned to the next aspect of the event, which went through the same cycle (the flowers are a good example of this; originally i wanted a very organic, yet lavish display that would be difficult to make and encompass many different flowers and seasonal fruits. When that turned out to cost a fortune, we switched to more modern arrangements that I like a lot better in retrospect!).

Anyway, now that I have all the major details nailed down, I could honestly care less about reading wedding blogs (with the exception of apracticalwedding.com, which is awesome). 99.9% of weddings are pretty in that non-memorable way. That is not to say that these people didn't do a fantastic job (they usually did), or that it wasn't a rockin' party (probably was!). But the aesthetic of a wedding is so... wedding, it is hard for it to be anything else! That is, unless they are ugly (see below)!



Soo... since I don't think I can avoid having a weddingy wedding (and I don't think I want to), I am hereby making the conscious decision not to stress out over it anymore. We will see how long this lasts, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment